Recently this page received lots of questions asking about the Corona Virus Situation in Ontario Canada, Toronto and Hamilton as major cities in Canada and I will answer these questions backed by the scientific proof as well official statements from the Public Health Ontario webpage updated as of February 16, 2020, https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/diseases-and-conditions/infectious-diseases/respiratory-diseases/novel-coronavirus
The current situation in Ontario Canada (Including Toronto and Hamilton)
As of February 16, 2020, there are Seven confirmed positive cases, ONE Cured, 8 under investigations, and 353 confirmed negative people.
What do we know about Corona Virus?
- Coronavirus is transmitted by respiratory droplets which means that when the person coughs, sneezes or uses fomites with others he/she can transmit the infection to them.
- It is believed that faecal-oral transmission is possible for Corona Virus ( which means hands contaminated with a faecal matter can be a potential source of transmission of the virus). However, the main route of transmission of the Corona Virus remains through the respiratory system (as mentioned before with respiratory droplets as with coughing or sneezing).
- Can Corona Virus spread via blood transfusion? So far, there is no evidence that the Corona Virus can spread by the blood transfusion.
- How long is the Incubation Period (Time from harbouring the infection until signs and symptoms start to appear): in general, it ranges from 5 – 14 days. So, Health Authorities in Canada keep suspected cases of Corona Virus under strict observation (quarantined) for at least two weeks before letting them go to the community.
- How Corona Virus presents clinically? According to the Mayo Clinic update (updated February 16, 2020) https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/symptoms-causes/syc-20479963?page=0&citems=10 The main signs and symptoms of Corona Virus are:
Fever, Cough and Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing. These symptoms and signs can be very mild, moderate or severe depending on the age of the patients (the elder the patient the severer are the symptoms) and the immune system and general condition of the patient ( the poorer the immunity or the general condition the worse is the symptoms and the signs). That is why in severe immune suppression death can be a possible outcome.
- Is there a treatment for Corona Virus? Up till now, there is NO known treatment for Corona Virus, and according to the WHO (World Health Organization) updated February 2020. The mainline of treatment for the Corona Virus is supportive medical care with no specific antiviral agent or therapy. https://www.who.int/publications-detail/clinical-management-of-severe-acute-respiratory-infection-when-novel-coronavirus-(ncov)-infection-is-suspected
How to protect ourselves against the possible spread of the Corona Virus?
There are general measures that help us minimize or reduce the rate of spread of the virus such as:
- Follow Good respiratory Hygiene such as coughing or sneezing in the elbows, avoid coughing or sneezing directly to others or using the hands.
- Follow proper hand hygiene by washing the hands with soap and warm/ hot water in these circumstances:
· When hands are visibly dirty.
· Before preparing and immediately after handling the food.
· Before eating.
· After the toilette.
· After contact with contaminated surfaces (Garbage bins, contaminated cloths) .
· After wiping or blowing one’s nose.
· After contact with bodily fluids (such as vomitus and blood)
· Before and after wound dressing.
· Before inserting or removal of contact lenses.
Should students stay home to avoid contacting Corona Virus in Ontario (Toronto Hamilton)
So far, there is NO recommendation from the Canadian Federal or Provincial Health Authorities to keep children or adolescents at home to avoid the spread of the Corona Virus.
Should Canadians wear facemasks to avoid transmission of Coronavirus?
According to the Ontario Chief Medical Officer Dr David Williams, The Ontario Ministry of Health has NEVER recommended face masks and instead, people need to follow the respiratory and hand hygiene ( mentioned above in this article) rather than using the facemask.
If you have any question, please, don’t hesitate to contact us by clicking one of these linkshttps://www.ontarionaturopathicclinic.ca/site/contact-naturpathicdr-toronto If you are living in or close to Toronto
https://www.ontarionaturopathicclinic.ca/site/contact-naturpathic-dr-grimsby-niagara if you are living in Hamilton or Grimsby or closer locations